Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Newman fka Wimbledon

I adopted Wimbledon (now Newman) from Deirdre in Iowa. We have had Newman for nearly one month now and I thought I would send an update.

Newman is doing great. I'm exhausted, but he and our Westie, Lily, are having a blast. We have a long bedroom and they especially love to play in there when I am trying to sleep! They sound like a herd of wild animals stampeding across the room. Add the play growling and sleep is out of the question. Today Newman seems to have discovered a new game - king of the hill/couch. They like to wrestle on the couch and Lily fell off today. Newman seemed to like that and, of course Lily jumps right back up on the couch for more. Newman quickly figured out what he needed to do to get his opponent off the couch again and again. Then he looked so proud when he was the last one standing. So cute.

We have been taking Newman to beginner training. He was afraid of the traditional techniques for teaching sit and down (he didn't like having our hands move over him), but I worked with him and modified the training technique and I am happy to report that each week he learns a new command. We now have sit, down, stay, and come. Though he already had come. I have also been working with him nightly on walking. He is now fairly profficient at loose leash walking. Sometimes I have to pull him a bit, usually at the end of the walk. He needs to build up his stamina to keep up with the two year old westie.

Newman also seems to have lessened his separation anxiety. He still loves to be around me and doesn't like to be separated from me when I am home, but he has gotten into the routine of me going to work. He now goes into his exercise pen with no complaints and sits there calmly. No pacing, drooling or whining. I think he now trusts that I always come home and will always love him.
See his photo album which also includes fursib Libby.

http://tinyurl.com/5mv7qj

Thank you!
Jody



No comments:

Post a Comment