Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A GREAT update on Wimby/Newman

Hi, just wanted to send you an update on Newman. He is starting to come out of his shell. We are so excited and happy. He would not sit for us. I have been working to train him. This was difficult because he would just back up when I put the treat over his head. But I kept working with him and he learned it yesterday! You would have thought he found the winning lottery ticket the way I showered him with praise. Also, last night, I was reading some separation anxiety materials, and it just occurred to me that we should move his kennel and exercise pen out of the spare bedroom and into the living room. He likes the living room and there's a big window our westie looks out of during the day. So we moved it. Immediately he started exploring his new arrangement and seemed to be content with it. We put him in there this morning and when I came home from lunch, he was calm (as in not nervous - he was very excited to see me though). He hadn't been drooling, he hadn't torn up items in his space. The difference was amazing. When I let him and Lily out in the yard, they wrestled! He actually pinned her to the ground and looked up at me wagging his tail. Lily loves to wrestle and I was just so excited to see it! Then tonight, they wrestled, again. He hasn't followed me around everywhere today, either. He's exploring. And when we came inside, for the first time, he emptied out the toy box and killed or chewed up every toy in there. For the first time since he got here, we are seeing the personality you described! It's like someone flipped a switch on him. I am so over joyed! It just broke my heart to see him so nervous. We will keep working with him every day. I feel such relief knowing we are making progress. I will send more pictures soon. I plan to start contributing to the yahoo group soon and hope I can volunteer to help other cairns. I just wanted to send both of you an update before posting to the group. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment