Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Minnie's Histiocytoma

Colleen, Minnie's forever Mom, sends this update on a recent medical scare.

It has been a nerve racking few days to say the least. What seemed to appear over night with Minnie was a strange looking spot on the bottom inside of her right ear. It was the size of a small pearl earing and flesh colored. The shot I've attached looks blue surrounding it because my DH was holding Minnie and shinning a very bright lazer light onto the area.
I called the Vet on Thursday and they said bring her in it could be cancer. Poor Minnie has had more problems with her ears in her short 17 months of life - yeast, mites, infections, dirt, fly bites, burns on the ear tips and now this. We've been working so hard since April with Maliseb, L-Gold, Oatmeal, Organic Locally grown honey, Ear Wash, Antibiotics - I just about fainted when the Vet told me this.
Then on Friday I went in to the Vets. First the Vet withdrew fluid! Ran it under the scope ... it was not CANCER! Then the Vet numbed her, removed the histiocytoma, cauterized it and we were good to go.

Here is a link to an article: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1676 . The article on the histiocytoma it's very informative and not to be confused with histocytosis as that is a malignant growth. Minnie was a trooper through all this and the Vet who has a terrier and the tech's all volunteered to baby sit if I ever needed a sitter. I am so relieved I cannot tell you. As these little tumors are common in young labs, terriers, boxers and dacshunds I wanted to share with you.

Relieved in Colorado,
Colleen K - Mom to Scarlett the Cairn Of My Heart,and Minnie; Mouse/Stinker/Moocher& Willie, Felines Frida & Izzy (MIA - April 16 - returned home June 28)

No comments:

Post a Comment