Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Our Little Miracle Called Ceres

My name is "Nursie Pat", I wasn't a "Cairn person" in my "other life" ie - before moving to Pender Harbour, BC. I had ordinary dogs like Daschunds and Irish Setters. However, after meeting my now partner, Martin, I met my first Cairn, " Peesha " who, unfortunately, moved to Vancouver Island with Martins' daughter, and broke Marts' heart-- he missed the dog most, I believe!

I felt his loss, and went Cairn hunting, which is how we found our "one dog in a lifetime animal ', Bronson. After 4 years, we acquired "Echo", a "blondattude" girl who walked in at 8 weeks and said " I'm taking over" - Bronson yawned and said "whatever"--. We had Bronson for 15 years until August 2005 and lost Echo just last October at age 12.


Which brings us to Ceres! Mart was totally devastated at the second loss and sworn never to have another - he couldn't bear the thought of losing a loved one, in spite of the love he shared. I had a grieving time, but had a huge hole in my heart where a Cairn needed to be. So, when fate introduced us to Ceres, it was Divine Intervention - and love at first sight.


The joy she has brought to our lives is unmeasurable, her tail never stops wagging from morning til crashing into her cozy crate at night. She's a miracle dog, for I believe she was up for "doggy rehab" for her attitude problem.Her only problem is wanting love -- lots and lots of it, and we have both time and willingness to provide it whenever she wants it.


Her "education" into how to be a dog is a constant source of amusement. On her daily walkie on our local mountain roads, she has encountered a deer, a baby chipmunk, tripped over a snake without batting an eyelash, and seen her first bear. All the smells and sights are new, every leaf, bush and twig must be investigated. She spends countless hours at the french doors trying to figure out where the squirrels disappear to when they race across the deck with a peanut in their mouth. She tries to race across the french door to the wall -- but then it ends -- and where did that blasted furry thing go?? She knows now that we go - and then we come back for her, so there's never a whimper when we leave. In fact, it's rare to hear her bark at all.


She loves cheese and thinks every time I go to the frig -- that's where the cheese lives! She knows that salmon is a special thing and only happens occasionally, but it's really, really good! She loves her belly rubbed and ears scratched, in fact, she'll sit up on the couch and bat me on the arm until I rub her belly, we think she's got us pretty well programed, and we're loving every minute of it. She's our miracle girl, and we thank all of you every day for letting us have her. As I said before, I think she knows she's not in Kansas anymore.

God bless the Cairn Rescue Network!

Pat and Martin - and Ceres, a Cairnadian

No comments:

Post a Comment