Pages

Friday, October 17, 2008

Update on Newman FKA Wimby

I just wanted to send you an update on Newman fka Wimbledon. He's doing great. On October 4, he graduated from puppy class... yes, puppy class. He was in beginner education, but the other dogs in the class had to switch, so Newman finished the course in puppy education. There was a 10 week old westie puppy in there and just loved to play with him. He was a little shy.

Newman finished the class by mastering sit, come, down, we're working on stay (he won't let us back away). Newman also mastered shake and high five in about ten minutes during one class. The other parents looked at us longingly wishing they had such smart dogs. We were very proud. I have attached a picture of Newman from graduation.

Newman is still very attached to me, but he is starting to get closer to Mike. Newman gets aggitated if we get ready to leave. I have started to realize that I have a leaving routine I did not know I had. For example, when I shut the bedroom door, he runs to the garage door. I hadn't realized that I only shut that door when we are about to leave. He also gets excited if I put jeans on and starts to run to the door. I think that's funny. I hadn't thought about it before, but after work, I only put jeans on if I am leaving the house.

He has taught us that we have plenty of routines. But I think routines help him. Once we put him in his play pen for us to leave, he calms down and lies down on his pillow to nap. When we come home, he is sitting on his bench next to Lily's bench watching for squirrel's out of the window. No more anxiety like we had before. The only time he really gets anxious now is during thunderstorms. We had one the other night and I was able to calm him down by scooting his kennel over to the edge of the bed and putting my hand inside. He rubbed his head against my hand, made a few minor whines and went to sleep. He had been crying for half an hour before that, so this solution was a great relief.

I have also created a monster! When we first got Newman I was trying to make him feel comfortable with us so I would lay on the couch and put him on my belly. He struggled at first, but not anymore. Now he insists on lying on top of me whenever I am on the couch. When I am lying on the couch, he nows climbs up on the couch, climbs up on me and lies on my chest or belly. He even does it if Lily is already lying on me! He just has to be part of the action.

Surprisingly, we think Newman might be the dominant one. He will walk right up to Lily when she has a toy in her mouth and take it from her and she won't do anything about it. That seems like a sign of dominance, but in other ways, Lily seems dominant, so we're not sure what to think about it. We are so happy to have him and he seems happy to be here. Thanks so much for all you have done for him.
We'll update you again soon. Sincerely, Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment