Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Denny Dinozzo, now Newman, update

From Foster Mom Bonnie:
Oh my gosh, I just got a wonderful, wonderful update from Denny's new family. This just thrills me to pieces. Here's a link to the photos but I'd advise checking them out after you read the email from his new Mom. :)
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=nenx2jj.ahc5xfi3&x=0&y=uxtae1&localeid=en_US

Matchmaker Holly R not only found the perfect family for Denny. I was feeling terrible about sending him off after he ran like a twit all over Steve's yard and had the best time playing but was no longer clean and pretty....and Holly's wonderful husband took a day off and bathed him and spruced him all up before they put him on the plane for his new home. Thank you Holly and hubby!Bonnie

From The Forever Family:
Hi everyone,
Well it's been a few days since little Denny joined our family. He is PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!! He's pretty much exactly like Fester except he has a far more beautiful coat, poor Fester's always been a bit baldish since his rough start in life but he's gorgeous in his own way:) We had a good long 'pack-walk' (what I call it when I go out with all three dogs) to make sure everyone knows that the family pack now includes Denny.

Oh, by the way, we decided just yesterday to re-name Denny, he is now Newman. I will give him a bit more time to settle in before starting obedience classes. It feels like he's always been here he fits in so well. He's sleeping at my feet right now, follows my every move just like all my dogs do. It'll take Newman a while before he feels comfortable enough to sometimes let me walk out of a room without following although I think it's mostly just Cairn nosiness;)

We spent the whole day outside gardening and the dogs dug holes, played chase, wrestled and fetched squeakies. At the end of the day my neighbour commented that it was the first time she had ever seen Fester tired out (he was laying down outside catching his breath) so Newman is definitely getting in a lot of playtime! Newman seems completely housebroken, even gave me some pacing to the door when he needed to go, what a good boy! He is so, so sweet. I cut his toenails yesterday no problem, he sleeps in his crate without a peep (all the dogs' crates are in our bedroom, I believe in the 'pack' sleeping together) and the tiny bit of diarrhea he had on his first night here is completely gone.

Newman is not hyper at all! He's just exactly like Fester, super curious about everything, always ready to play and always sparkling with happiness. He settles down just like everyone else in the evening when we sit down to watch TV. It's all about draining the energy, you can't expect a terrier to be a good dog if you don't give them an outlet for the energy. The Trans Canada Trail is just a short drive from ourhome and it only takes an hour to do a brisk 4-5 kilometres and that really takes the edge off and makes everyone feel good, even me:)

We met a group of four very large dogs on our pack walk yesterday and Newman had no issues at all, he just needs to learn some manners, he needs to learn to approach calmly as opposed to yipping and lunging in his efforts to get there as soon as possible to socialize (it's just puppy rudeness that all dogs have to grow out of) Obedience classeswill help with that as well as the example of Beanie and Fester. Once Newman reached the group of large dogs he just proceeded straight to sniffing privates and being quite happy to be there. I've attached some pictures, it sure is hard to get a good shot of dogs moving at warp speed!

We are loving our little Newman and I think he's pretty happy to be here too. Oh, Newman has a magic spot! If you rub his ears he flops right over for a belly rub, it's so funny, he'll do it for anyone what a little doll:)

With much thanks to all of you at Col. Potter for making our family
more complete.
Linda & Russell and the furry ones too, Fester, Beanie and Newman!

No comments:

Post a Comment