Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Update on Maggie (fka Obama) in Kansas

Maggie's Mom wrote:
This past weekend I went to Topeka to see my parents. My Mom has been having some issues lately so I went alone so I could focus on whatever her or my Dad needed. I left Bob and Maggie here in Emporia.

Well I pull up to their home and my Dad is in the garage tinkering dressed in his overalls and farmers hat. I smile, give him a hug and wish him Happy Father’s Day. “Thanks”, he said. “Where’s the dog? Did you bring the dog?” “No, I left her at home with Bob.” He’s not smiling anymore.

So I walk in the door to my Mom. “Hi”, she said. “Where’s the dog?” “She’s at home”, I said. So we sit down. Lil Bit (their dog) jumps up and starts sniffing around as she always does. Dad said, “She wants to know where the dog is.” I honestly thought I was going to have to get back in the car, drive an hour back home, and come back!

They have only met Maggie once but both fell in love with her. My Mom generally likes it when I dedicate my time just for her but I guess next time, I better take the dog! They will be down this next weekend as my kids and Granddaughter will be here. It will be a challenge for Maggie to have that many people in the house but I am sure Dad will pick her up and sit her in the chair with him to keep her safe.

Maggie is doing well. She loves the doggie park and pretty much every time, goes into her “Georgie run”. She is half way through obedience class and is doing pretty good. She would be doing much better if the people went home and left the dogs but she is trying! We have already mastered basic commands, like sit, down, up, etc. The obedience class is more about exposure, socialization, etc.

We have conquered any fear about riding in a car. She loves to go anywhere we take her and even with the gas prices, we try and take her out even if for just short trips. We are still working on the thunderstorms but I really do think it is getting a little better. We finally got a CD and will be playing that tonight. We have had so many storms lately; I want to keep her in the mode. She, at least, doesn’t bark at every rumble anymore.

Maggie is definitely a top dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment