Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Shampoo for a Cairn

Recently, an owner posted this question to the group:

What is the best brand as far as all you cairn-lovers are concerned for just regular bathing? Not for kids with allergies, but just in general and what do you use on their face close to the eyes?

Many posted their recommendations:

- No Allergies? No Shampoo! That is my rule and I stick to it with all 5 of my dogs. Once in a while, Diva gets a hot spot and pre-spay, she got a greasy coat about twice a year and it had an odor. On those occasions, I used dandruff shampoo to give her a bath. Ozzie is 3 years old now and has NEVER had shampoo on him. He is a Listerine and Water boy. Ozzie has a Gorgeous coat of hair too! He has the best of the 5 but all of them respond well to the Listerine baths and they love the massage portion!!
Listerine & Water:
Use only the Gold but generic is fine. In a plastic bottle, dilute to 60% - 50%.
Liberally spray to soak dog; hold a washcloth over eyes.
Once dog is wet all over, rub in just like you do when washing your own hair.
It doesn't do as much good to just spray them with this as it tends to sit on the outer coat.
Once dog has been soaked and it is massaged down to his skin, lightly dry him with a towel.
You can rinse this off of them if you want but it is not totally necessary to do that!

- Lew Olson of the K9Nutrition list who has a PhD in Natural Healing and has studied canine health for many years says NOT to use a human shampoo on dogs. She says the Ph or acid/alkaline
level is wrong for dog's skin. However, I guess if you rinse with 50/50 white vinegar and water every time you use human shampoo it probably wouldn't do too much damage.
Bonnie

- I like Bobbi Panter's Itchy Dog Shampoo. It's very good on all dogs, itchy or not and rinses out pretty easily. I bought it somewhere else but here is a link to show you what it looks like.
http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=10727

- I have tried many shampoos over the last 30 years. Recently I discovered one made from natural oils and herbs that I really like. It leaves my current resident female Molly fresh for weeks. I tried the oatmeal for itchy sensitive skin like Mollys but it just leaves her oilier than usual. I gave it to my neighbor who has a toy poodle and it works great on her coat though. I get this shampoo called "Buddy Wash" from the "Direct Pet Superstore" catalogue out of Marysville, KS. www.valleyvet.com (800)360-4838. Or you can order direct from the manufacturer in CA www.CloudStar.com (800)361-9079. It comes in a 19 oz. bottle in Lavender and Mint, Rosemary and Mint, or Green Tea and Bergamot. I love it!!! For the pampered pet @ $8.95 a bottle. I also use a little bit of the Buddy Rinse just on Molly's feathers. Has a lavender and mint scent. A 19 oz. bottle is $7.95. The rinse goes a long way. So far so good. No skin irritation at all. I have been using it for a year now. It is NOT SOAP.

- I try really hard not to bathe a cairn or any dog unless it's absolutely necessary. I'll do butt baths when needed rather than a full body bath.

- Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal shampoo. You can get it at your vet or order it online. It is very gentle and goes a long way.

- Lambert Kay - Oatmeal Soothing,(shampoo and sometimes conditioner) and LK puppy shampoo for the faces.

- SUAVES ORANGE SPLASH CHILDRENS SHAMPOO.. it is tearless, kills fleas and does not dry them out.

- Espree Aloe Shampoo. it's all natural human grade and doesn't burn the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment