Pages

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saxon - A Happy Ever-After Story

Saxon was a stray found roaming the streets of NY. He went to a Foster home in CA, but seemed to have some problems and had to come to boot camp. It seems that Saxon has been kicked because when you stick your foot out in front of him, he will bite it. Otherwise he is a sweet boy.. He knows that when he comes in from his last potty before going to bed, everyone gets a treat. So Saxon comes running in from the outside, stops at the kitchen counter and looks up to the treat jar. He will stay there until he sees me picking up a treat, then we will run to his crate and wait for me to give him his goodie.

After a few months working with him Saxon was made available for adoption. Enter one of CP’s great adoptive homes (they've adopted 3 cairns from us already). The match was made when I noticed that something is not right with Saxon’s eyes. I spoke to the possible home and asked them to hold off until I can take Saxon to an Ophthalmologist. Their responds was No Problem. We found out that Saxon had Uveitis – OU and his retinal is detaching. In short; he will be blind soon.

While you would never know that he has a problem with his eye I sent all the info to the adoptive home and told them that there is no pressure and if they choose to not adopt him, that is fine. After talking to their own Vet, the adoptive home came back and said "We Want Him".

Because of timing issues with me (Tax season and CRAP) we opted for the adoptive home to pick Saxon up this week. When I got back from CRAP last Wednesday I noticed a knot on Saxon’s tummy. I took him to the Vet on Thursday just to find out that he had a Mast Cell Tumor.. I once again informed the adoptive home of the situation and once again they where very good and just said; let’s see what the pathology report says. My Vet removed that tumor on Friday and now we where waiting on the pathology report to come back. This Wednesday I got the news that his mast cell tumor was a stage 2 and was NOT actively dividing, meaning it was not aggressive.

I informed the adoptive home of the good news and they have decided to pick Saxon up next week. It shows that no matter what curve ball life throws at Saxon, he deals with it, and so does his Adoptive Family.

Very happy and proud Foster mom Monika in South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment