Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

It's Mutual Love in Bear's Forever Home!

First date 2/16 (day of adoption) Hi We are home. All went well. Jessa pretty much ignored him and still is. We made a stop on the way home and he did his jobs, we had lunch and off we went. Our son was here when we arrived. Bear let him pet him without moving away. Just cowered as usual. I walked him around the yard, inside the fenced yard and then into the house. He is still wandering around checking it all out. There were a few pieces of dog food in Jessa's dish and woofed them up. Jessa put her ears up but said nothing. I have given him some water but he hasn't drank any yet. He has checked it out twice so he knows it is there. (He did drink after dinner) It was hard to get him out of the crate when we got home. He huddles in the back of it. The crate is now in the family room where we spend most of our time. He only went in once so far and came back out right away. I think he is going to do well. We will work with the doggie door tomorrow. You were right. He is a sweetie! I have held him twice since we got home. There is no shaking or trying to get down. I am one happy mom! Thanks for all the care you have given him. I will keep in close touch for awhile.
PS I didn't get this sent till now. Got busy with Bear. So we have been home about 4 1/2 hrs and all is OK. He is sleeping on the dining room floor and was watching Bruce and Jessa in the fam. room. Thank you for the cute card. I love the picture of him. I remember seeing it on the web site. I have read most of the info. Will finish it up later. Thanks!

Second update: 2/17 Sandy, I think it is going well. We did have one quick argument between Bear and our Jessa. We were right here and it looked like it might have been over a toy Jessa brought over to him. Today she has ignored him and Bear is keeping his distance. So, we have pretty much kept them apart so far today. Bear slept quietly in his crate. He went outside this AM and did his duties. I fed him in his crate as he did go back in there after his trip outside. I took him for a short walk and we walked the yard again. He and I then went out on the deck which is in the fenced area off the house and through the dog door. We were out there about an hour. He spent much of the time just looking and sniffing and listening. We have many birds in back and a park across the street so there were kids there today. He just took it all in. The best thing out there is the BBQ grill. Many great smells there! Then we both took a snooze in the sunshine. We are in now, and he has gone to his crate. Jessa is also in the family room napping. No problem today. But he is still wagging his tail and will come to me for petting. He needs to take his time. Last night I lifted him onto the couch with me. I put him on my chest as I was reclined back. He stayed there and even went to sleep. When we got up, it was back to the crate. It has to be a comfort to have his own blanket and toys here. Thanks for sending them along. i got his ball out today when we were on the deck. He perked up and nosed it towards me. I rolled it away and he went and got it. But he didn't do it again. we will keep trying. So, how did you do yesterday and last night? Good thing you have the other doggies to keep you company. I will keep you posted.

Third update: 2/18 HI Well we are half way into another day. Bear went for his morning outing with Bruce. I got up and made his breakfast and he ate it all. I was making my oatmeal and he walked up and put his little nose on my leg. That meant A LOT! Later we sat on the couch. He on my chest again. I had taken some combs and brushes with me so I combed him very gently for a long time. Finally he went to sleep. Later he was along side me and slept some more. We are keeping Jessa out if the picture when we can. We took a walk down the street and into the park. He started limping on his left back leg. Is that the one he hurt before? He did lick at it once. I couldn't see anything and then he was walking on it again. The ground at the park is not very level. I'll watch him when we walk later. This tiff that he and Jessa had I am sure had nothing to do with Bear. I am sure dear Jessa started it. Now, last night they were both on the couch with us with no problem. We have picked up all toys for now. Bear has a couple in his crate. I was doing laundry this AM and he came to the bedroom to see me. He still goes the other way if I approach him, so I mostly just talk to him. Right now he is sitting next to me at the computer. I called him in and he came slowly. He has taken to sitting on a rug in front of the stove when not in his crate or on my lap. We made a Vet apt. for Thurs. with our Vet so she can meet him and we can get his Frontline. She went through the loss of both dogs with us. She will be thrilled with Bear. I had Bear's ball on the deck today. His tail wagged, but didn't really want to fetch. He did go after it once...very slowly and brought it back but then didn't want to do it again. I see him really trying but being so very cautious at the same time. We are going to Portland tomorrow for that eye apt. We should be gone 3-4 hours. I am going to leave him in his crate. I'll let you know how he does. For now. Diane PS He has laid down here but is not asleep. His little ear is up listening.

Fourth update 2/19 Hi We had a good day. The weather was nice so we were out for a couple walks and on the deck again. Let me start with the deck. I took his ball out there and his little tailed wagged wildly. But he didn't want to play just yet. He walked around the fenced yard and found a tennis ball. He picked it up and started to play with it all by himself. You know how cute he does that. I was thrilled. I watched quietly. Jessa came along the outside of the fence and he was done and back up on the deck. This AM after his walk with Bruce, he came into the house and down the hallway to the bedroom. He was so happy. He stayed with me while I finished dressing, etc. While I was doing my hair he actually stood up and pawed at my leg. So I gave him some petting. Of course he cowered as I reached toward him. We walked and then I fed him and we left him in his crate when we went to Portland. We were gone exactly 3 hours. When I came in, he was scratching on the crate door and so very happy to see us. We did the couch thing again. I brushed him and we took a nap. I fed him before we ate tonight and he did not go into his crate while we ate. Even Jessa was in the house. He stayed in the kitchen and she in the dining room. After we ate, he was sitting in front of his food bowl looking at us. I decided you probably fed him after you ate, so we will do it that way too. I gave him a few peas and he seemed satisfied. Bruce said tonight he started pawing at the carpet and looked like he wanted to play. Bruce got up to play and of course Jessa got up too and poor Bear hightailed it to the crate. He is there right now. I am going to read for awhile, so I will get him up on the couch again. I love this little guy! Diane

Fifth update: 2/20 Last evening Bear and I went to the bedroom to watch American Idol. He walked all over again checking everything out. I had shut the door so Jessa wouldn't show up. I took his ball in there. I squeezed it and it made an airy noise and he went wild. We played some ball, not always bringing it back. I sat on the floor with him a long time and we played off and on. Today I had him on the deck. He did not care to play. The sun was out so he laid in his favorite spot and went to sleep. Later I saw him peeking into the kitchen thru the dog door. I tried to get him to jump thru, but chickened out. I went to the laundry room to fold clothes and I looked out the window there and I couldn't see him. I went crazy thinking he somehow got out. No, he was in the kitchen. Bruce said he just hoped on in on his own. We have had NO accidents in the house. He's just a good boy. You certainly taught him well. Thanks you! Today is Jessa'a 4th Birthday. We are having spaghetti for dinner. They will probably get some pasta for dinner as a treat. One more thing. I went to Weight Watchers this AM. I left Bear loose in the house. Bruce was outside. When I came home I parked out front on the street and as I opened the door I heard strange barking I hadn't heard in the neighborhood before. I realized it must be Bear. Low and behold he was on the back of the couch in the frontroom window barking at me. What a cute site. He met me at the door with lots of wags. He made no messes and nothing was touched. So, thanks again for a job well done. Diane

Sixth update: 2/22 Sandy, Thank you for the pictures. He is such a cutie. I had him to the vet today just to show him off, and have him microchipped. The vet (she) said he was "handsome" and very healthy. He had a quiet day yesterday (Thurs.). He sat with me but pretty much wanted to be alone. We did go for a long walk while the sun was out. I have a small settee in the living room in front of the window. He has taken it over. I tried putting things on it to discourage him, but he just jumped over it all. He likes to look out the window from there. So I need to find him another spot to see out the window or give it up. I finally put a blanket on the little sofa. He really likes that spot. He was hardly in his crate at all today. He did good today. I brushed him real well today while we were on the deck. He stood real still. He kinda moved around when I was working on his face. still no accidents in the house! I will get some pics of him to send to you. I will also do the yard and house so you can get an idea of where he is.

Seventh update: 2/23 Hi Here are 3 pictures we have of Bear. I will send more as we take them. Sorry 2 of them are so dark, but I wanted to show him on the little sofa that he has made his favorite spot. He is having a friendly day today and we are on our way for a walk in the sunshine. Have a good weekend. I love my Bear! Diane Lockhart

Eighth update: 2/26 Hi Well, we just came in from our after dinner walk. Bear is doing so well on the leash. Sometimes I find myself looking down to see if he is still there. I walked him yesterday and it started to rain. You can tell he is not a dog from the NW! About every 25 feet he'd stop and shake the rain off. I guess I should find him a raincoat! Not too much to worry about. I usually don't walk in the rain. We just started too late and got caught. I feel he made great strides yesterday. We played ball inside and out. He still doesn't bring it to me, but he does go get it and loves it as you know. Once he gets used to coming up to me I reckon he will also bring me the ball. All 4 of us were on the couch last night. The dogs were about 6 inches away from each other and no one seemed to care. Today, Bruce said they walked together some of the way on their first walk. Yesterday, he also came to me after that walk. I was still in bed. He came all the way up to me. I heard him coming so kept quiet to see how far he'd come. I ended up scratching and massaging him for 35 minutes, then decided I better get up. He did have a good day. We had to go to Portland again today, and we left him in this crate. He came wiggling out of it when we got home. He still needs time with coming to us and letting us put his leash on, with out running away. Once he is hooked up, he comes along fine. I may have to try a treat to hook him up. He sure does respond to food! Hope you are having a good week. It was a lovely day today. Take care, Diane

Nineth update: 3/1 Sandy, Just checking in to let you know all is well. Bear is taking more baby steps every day. I had a girlfriend stop by Thursday with 2 ten yr. old girls. They were very cautious to meet Bear. You could tell he was curious, but stayed his distance then went to his couch. One of the girls stepped on his toy and it squeaked and he was there in a flash. The girls played with him a long time till we stopped so he could rest. His tongue was hanging out. (He sure does have a long tongue) Is that a Cairn trait? Anyway he did good and I felt so wonderful about it. But when he was done.... off to the couch he went. I have noticed lately that he is entering the kitchen if one of us is out there making food noises. He also took himself out to the deck today and spent some time in the sun. He was playing with the Kong all by himself today also. I tried the 1st hot dog bite on him today to get his leash on. He was on the couch so it wasn't hard to catch him. I will keep it up and let you know how he does. He is getting a routine down each day. I just wish he would jump up on the couch with us. I put him up there and he is fine with it, but so far hasn't taken the 1st step on his own. Trust me, you will be the 1st to know when he does! Did you get another foster Cairn yet? Will write soon. Diane

From Foster Mom: This are just so wonderful and helps me know that my little Bear went the most perfect home. Here are some pictures of Mom and Bear Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment