Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Update on Maisie (fka Rusty/Flopsy)

From Foster Mom Karen O on now adopted Maisie (a puppymill survivor). I can't believe how quickly Maisie is coming along. I am just thrilled to death!!!
Some of her big accomplishments are
instead of running away when it's treat time and making me put the treat down and step away, she actually comes right up to me to get itshe is providing endless entertainment for the kitty as I keep a very lightweight leash on her in the house and the kitty chases it and carries it in his mouth as she moves aboutthis morning when it was time to go out she came to the back door and waited while I put Murry's coat on and then I put hers on - usually I have to track her down for thisgoing in and out the door is now is relatively easy - she probably does it own her own about 8 out of 10 timesshe is staying in whatever room we're in without me having to attach the leash to somethingand, I think this is a big one, last evening my friends Bob and Laurel came over and Maisie was on her big cushion in the living room (the one she's on in Susan's pictures) when they knocked. I answered the door, we said hello's they came in, etc and she did not leave the cushion or the room - we went upstairs to look at some furniture and then back down to sit in the living room and she still did not leave the room! I had asked them not to look at her or pay her any attention and it seemed to be OK with her to have these strangers here.She is very funny when poor Murry is outside trying to poop, she puts her nose right up under him - today he lost his balance - he doesn't seem to mind whatever she doesOn a less bright note, her paw situation has deteriorated in spite of Clavamox, vinegar soaks and blow drying. So we are moving to the next level of treatment which is Tetracycline 3 x day with Niacinamide and Omega 3 and 6 supplements and probiotics and epsom salts soaks. I also realized that she chews on her paws when I crate her at night so she is now sleeping in the bed next to me (under the covers) so that I can monitor this - she has not chewed on her paws for 2 nights and that has to be a big help in the healing process. (With Murry and Micha on the bed too, we're all very cozy.) It's snowing here today and she does love it - runs around and looks very happy - I see her and Murry showing a bit more interest in each other - very small signs, but all in the right direction. When they are in the yard alone, they tend to interact more than when I'm out there with them - I can see this when I let them out in the back yard and watch through the window. She's a great little princess - she has such a girly walk - really just prances about and I think she likes all of us and is content here - I think at the end of the year we'll have a sociable gal who'll be comfortable with strangers. Susan gave me a book about helping shy dogs and it has some great suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment